Research shows that most women are wearing the wrong size bra. Wearing the right bra means you will be more comfortable, better supported and you will look better too.
Lucy Ellis, the Bra Doctor, from Fantasie, said: “We wear bras all the time, so it’s vital to get the right size for comfort and fit. A bra that is correctly fitted will make you more comfortable and will make you look good.”
So what can go wrong? During her lifetime, a woman could wear half a dozen different sizes due to changing body shapes in pregnancy, weight changes and gravity. Experts recommend you check your size once a year to reassess.
Each bra is different, and each brand too. Bras from Triumph fit in a different way to bras from Fantasie for example. When you have a fitting, you should wear the bra for a few minutes, move around and test the fit.
The Right Fit
1. Most of the support comes from the underband, so it needs to feel comfortable yet firm.
2. The back of the bra should be in line with the front, and the fastening should be on the loosest setting.
3. The cups should not come too high under the arm.
4. Your breast should fit neatly into the cups. No overspilling or wrinkling.
5. Wires should lie flat against your body.
6. The front, centre piece of the bra should lie flat against your body.
7. Your breasts should be supported in their natural position, halfway between the shoulder and elbow.
Meet the Experts
On the 23rd and 24th April, Walker & Ling, the family-run department store on Weston high street, have invited experts from their top brands to talk to customers and give them an expert fitting service. On 23rd April, Clare Davis from Triumph, and on the 24th Lucy Ellis from Fantasie and Donna Brown from Sloggi, will be in store from 10-4pm. The store team are also expert bra fitters and will help fit with the bras in stock or with special orders.
Sam Walker, owner of the high street store, said: “Our team have many years’ experience fitting top quality bras and the service on the lingerie department, on the first floor, is discreet and private. Our fitting event is a great opportunity to come and find out about more about bras and our fitting service.”
At the event, Walker & Ling will welcome customers with exclusive special offers and a prize draw.