Walker & Ling was established by William Ling and Samuel Walker in Bath in 1892. In 1904, Samuel Walker opened a branch of the now successful drapery business in Weston-super-Mare. His son Charles Walker ('Charlie') became a partner in 1908 and took over sole ownership in 1925 when his father died. The Ling family came out of the partnership in 1936, and Walkers have run the business ever since.

In 1942, with almost 100 staff in the Weston store, the shop was almost entirely destroyed by bombing. It was later redesigned and rebuilt, but the back stock rooms are still original brickwork. 

After the war, Charles’ sons Peter and Roger joined the business. In 1954 the store celebrated 50 years of trading in Weston. The rebuild of the store was completed in 1959, including the beautiful lift that still operates very happily today! Tony Walker, then 4 years old, reopened the store.

 

Tony joined the family business in 1973, and the four men worked together until Charles Walker died in June 1976, only a few days before his 90th birthday. Roger retired in 1989 and Peter retired in 1997.

Tony Walker then took on the daily running of the business until 2013 when Tony's son Sam joined the business.

In the last few years we have brought in top brands Joules, Seasalt, White Stuff, Skechers and Superdry.

...and the rest is history!

Mon: 
Tue: 
Wed: 
Thu:
Fri: 
Sat:

Sun:

9:00am - 5:30pm

9:00am - 5:30pm

9:00am - 5:30pm

9:00am - 5:30pm

9:00am - 5:30pm

9:00am - 5:30pm

CLOSED

Opening Hours

our story

A brief history of Weston's favourite department store

Address

84-86 High St,

Weston-super-Mare

BS23 1HU, UK

Contact

info@walkerandling.co.uk

01934 621237

Open

Mon-Sat 9-5:30

Follow

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
  • Black Google Places Icon

©2020 BY WALKER & LING