THE NEW FRONT
This February, we are reinstating the original facade of the store.
In June 1942, a 500lb oil bomb burnt most of the north end of the high street to the ground. Over 10 years, Walker & Ling was rebuilt and reinstated. The design, officially opened in 1952, was a very 'modern' building, in the architectural style of the day. It featured a mosaic of blue/green tiles, a walk-in 'vitrine' style window, and brass lettering over the doors.
This year, we are thrilled to be reinstating this authentic style, in collaboration with North Somerset Council and Historic England.
Updates of the project will be posted to this page.